Explanation of Fees, Registration & Invoicing
Tuition and Fees
NIS tuition and fees are set annually in March and are published on the website. Fees are detailed as follows:
- Set on an annual basis, tuition is charged annually for students starting at the beginning of the school year;
- Students registering mid-year (after the school year begins) are charged tuition quarterly regardless of the start date within the quarter.
- Refunds are not prorated and are granted by semester only.
Capital Assessment Fee:
- An annual, non-refundable fee charged to each student in grades ELC Kindergarten through grade 12 for facilities redevelopment.
Extended Learning Fee:
- A mandatory, annual, non-refundable fee charged to all students to support learning experiences both in and out of the classroom that supplement the program but are integral to the curriculum (e.g. academic field trips, enrichment events/activities, resources, speakers, retreats, etc.). The amount varies depending on grade level.
- A one-time fee that is non-refundable and charged to students entering into grades ELC Kindergarten through grade 12. (i.e. all grades except ELC Preschool)
- A non-refundable, one-time fee charged to all students entering into grades ELC Kindergarten through grade 12 and earmarked for new building construction.
Student Services Fee:
- A quarterly fee charged to students who are placed on an intensive education plan through the Student Services department by reason of EAL (English as an Additional Language) or Learning Support.
School Bus Service Fee:
- An annual fee charged to students who register for the bus service.
- Registered users have first priority over reserved seats.
- Registered users of Bus #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7 may also use Bus #1 at no additional charge.
- The NIS Bus Association invoices through NIS and follows the same policies for billing and refunds.
- Charged to all applying students and is not refundable.
Summer Program Fee:
- This fee is charged to students who register for the NIS Summer Program (charged per weekly session)
Explanation of Terms:
Application: The process of making a formal application for an NIS education. Applications are considered active from the date the form is received at Nagoya International School AND the application fee is paid. Applications are considered active from the date the Application Form is received AND the Application Fee is paid. | Registration: The process of confirming a students’ start date at NIS and of holding that place as guaranteed. | Enrollment: The date on which a student formally starts to attend class and is a full, current NIS student
The Registration Window (ELC Preschool 4 through Gr. 12)
- Registration (regardless of the intended date of enrollment within the quarter) opens on the first school day of the previous quarter (e.g. the registration window for a proposed enrollment date of January 31 (in Quarter 3) would open on the first day of Quarter 2).
The Registration Window (ELC Preschool 3)
- The application process for the ELC preschool 3 class typically starts much earlier and applications can be accepted as early as one year prior to enrollment start.
- Companies or families wishing to register an applying student earlier than the registration window can do so provided that they pay any additional tuition for school days in advance of the regular registration window. This rate will be calculated from the date of confirming intention to hold the place.
- The student must have completed the application process, pending the interview. The costs of an advanced purchase placement are fully non-transferable and non refundable.
- Companies wishing to pre-purchase available seats prior to knowing the identities of actual students who will take those seats may do so through a ‘pre-purchase’ agreement.
- The pre-purchase will include all tuition/fees calculated from the date of invoice until the end of the academic year and is fully non-refundable and non-transferable. This will support companies who need to secure places in grades or classes prior to knowing which students will fill those places.
- The non-refundable capital assessment fee of ¥130,000 (or equivalent for ELC students) shall be payable by April 30 in order to guarantee a seat for a currently enrolled student for the following academic year. The remaining fees and tuition is payable by June 30.
- Should a family not pay their invoice by the date specified, their child’s place may be given to a student on the wait pool without further notice.
Newly Registered Students
- Invoices are issued at the point of registration for all applicable tuition and fees and are payable within 14 days or before enrollment, whichever is earlier. Failure to pay within the terms of the invoice will result in the places being released for other students.
- Payments are fully non-refundable in the case of parent/company initiated withdrawal from registration prior to enrollment. In the rare case that the school determines the need to cancel registration (for example as a result of the admissions interview or other pertinent data received between the point of registration and enrollment) then all tuition and fees (with the exception of the application fee) will be refunded in full.
- Students registering after the school year begins are charged tuition quarterly regardless of the start date within the quarter.
- All fees (Application, Capital Assessment, Extended Learning Fee, Registration and Building Fees) are charged in full, regardless of the date of enrollment start or intended length of stay.
Newly Registered Students for August
- Confirmed students starting at the beginning of the school year in August are required to pay a ¥300,000 non-refundable deposit by the previous April 30 (or within two weeks of billing if registration is confirmed after April 30) as a non-refundable down-payment to ensure registration of their child for a confirmed place.
- Students who have places confirmed after April 17 are required to pay a ¥300,000 non-refundable deposit within 14 days of invoicing.
- In both cases, the remaining tuition amount must be paid in full by June 30 to retain confirmed registration seat.
- Under special circumstances parents can apply for an alternative payment schedule by submitting the Tuition Installment Request form, available from the Business Office. At the discretion of the Head of School, tuition payments may be made in a two or four tuition payment periods corresponding with the two school semesters or four quarters. If tuition is paid in installments, payments are due in accordance with a prearranged schedule.
- A ¥5,000 fee is payable for each installment.
- Please note that a choice to pay in installments does not alter the overall financial responsibility to pay the invoice in full in the case of early withdrawal from NIS.
- The Business Office issues invoices and manages billing and collection of tuition and fees.
- Payments must be in Japanese Yen and made via bank wire transfer (please specify child’s name and account code, if known) to the Nagoya International School Yen Account into either bank listed below:
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Seto Branch: Checking Account #0512105 SWIFT Code: BOTKJPJT
- Toshun Shinyo Kinko, Shidami Branch: Checking Account #0500358
- Newly registered students will not be allowed to enroll in class until all tuition and fees have been paid.
- In the event of financial delinquency, school policy prohibits the release of grades, transcripts, letters of reference or other school records. Non-essential trips and activities may also be suspended.
- Students whose tuition is outstanding for more than 30 days may be asked to discontinue school attendance until payment is made.
- For late payments, a penalty may be levied against delinquent tuition accounts and will be charged at 1.5% per month of the unpaid balance.
- Refunds will not be made in cases of expulsions or dropouts unless approved by the Head of School in advance.
- All financial obligations made at the beginning of the school year are binding.
- Fees are non-refundable without exception.
- Students who indicate their intention to withdraw from NIS later than the last school day of semester one are liable for the full costs of tuition for semester two.
- Students who indicate their intention to withdraw from NIS later than June 30 are liable for the full costs of tuition for semester one.
Refunds will not be made in cases of expulsions or dropouts unless approved by the Head of School in advance.
* A semester is roughly half of the school year, usually from August-December and then January-June; a quarter is roughly half of a semester, usually August-October, October-December, January-March, and March-June.
* Families granted permission to pay by installment are held to account for the same financial obligations as set forth above.
* Below is the annual calendar:
- JAN Q3 (S2) start; Registration window opens for Q4
- MAR Q4 start; Registration window opens for Q1
- APR 30 Payment of CAF fee for returning students
- APR 30 Deposit for entering ELC Preschool 3 students
- JUN 30 Tuition & fees for next academic year due
- AUG Q1 start; Registration window opens for Q2
- OCT Q2 start; Registration window opens for Q3
- DEC S1 end; Withdrawal Form submission deadline to obtain S2 refund
*Cezars Kitchen lunch fees are NOT payable through NIS and must be arranged separately (see http://cezarskitchen.com/).